Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Wall was Steep!

First of all, I apologize thoroughly b/c somehow I made it to China without my camera cord and I can't download any pics from the trip thus far. The good news is though that I have my phone and I CAN take a few pics with it and send them to my computer, but you're not going to get to see any of the great ones until we get back. :(

Yesterday, DP and I packed up with our friends the Kromingas and headed out for a day of touring. Our guide was a little late, but once he showed up, he took us to the "Jade Factory" Which is basically a 30 second tour followed by "here's our jewelry store", buy something. It was really cool to see al the jade and learn about the different qualities, etc. What we call Burmese Jade is the nicest quality jade.... and it is very expensive. the prices are almost equivalent to diamonds in the states.

After that, we headed to the wall. Our guide suggested we head to a different part of the wall than the one we paid for, bc he said this one was better, cleaner, and not as crowded. So, we opted for that and headed on. When we got there, there were a couple of options on which one to climb.... DP of course wanted to climb the one nicknamed "hero's peak" b/c if you make it to the top, you're a hero. awesome. About 1/8 of the way up I thought I was going to vomit.... I've never done that much cardio at one time in my life, ever. 45 minutes in, and straight up, we did come out on the top!

After that, we went to the "Summer Palace" which is where the "Dragon Lady" lived.... her son was the Emperor, but was only 8 when he came into power and so she ruled the country.... Later, he tried to rise up against her and was defeated. She threw him in jail and for another younger nephew to be Emperor. She ended up ruling for 58 years!

After all of the touring, and especially the wall, I was exhausted!!!! We were going to go out to eat, and try some local fare, but I just couldn't do it. I think I may have jet lag.... for real.... I'm dizzy and feel kindof crazy, so if this doesn't make any since, that's why!!! :)

Anyway, more to come tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad that ya'll are getting to do some fun stuff that you'll always remember! I've been thinking about you all day today for some reason. I can't wait to hear about meeting Alba on Monday. I have a REALLY good feeling about all of this. We're praying for you, and Love you all bunches! Thanks for the posts!
Love, Lindsay