Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Sign Language


Since Mc was about 6 or 7 months old, we've been trying to teach her a few signs so that we can communicate with her before she can verbally tell us what she needs. Maybe we weren't diligent enough, maybe she was always distracted; whatever the reason, she just wouldn't pick it up.

Finally, about 2 weeks ago, she did it! She was eating, wanted more, and she signaled "more" to me. I was floored. A breakthrough!! She hasn't quit doing it since. Every meal she's pointing and signaling for what she wants. It makes dinner time so much easier. No fussing! (well, not as much anyway.) I will admit that her sign for more looks a little more like the interpretive movement for nails in the cross, but still, she's communicating and that's all that matters.

She is also, occasionally signaling "eat" to me. But, instead of tapping her mouth, she goes into the kitchen and taps her ears. Hilarious, but I still know what she's saying!

You can also check out a video of it to the left.

5 comments:

Katie and Shae said...

i am doing that w/ Annabelle too... so it's good to see that there is hope of her actually picking it up!

Shannon said...

I am so impressed! I have a book and a video, and I plan on doing it with Samuel. So fun to actually see it working! Nice work! Also, I would love to come to the brunch! Thanks for the invite!

A&L King said...

It is so cute! You can tell that she is excited to be communicating. The little girl I used to babysit for, Abby, that is exactly what her "more" sign looked like--I wonder if it is hard for them to do both hands.

Courtney said...

That is great! Makes me think of the movie Meet the Fockers. Maybe I will try that with Will. Did you already know sign language, or did you look it up, or make up your own???

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

that's awesome! i did that for like...a week.