Monday, May 5, 2008

Falling Apart

I really can't seem to stay out of the hospital.  Thursday night I woke up in the middle of the night with a really bad pain in my back, left side.  Went to the doctor on Friday, they said I was fine.  Friday night, woke up in the early morning with the same pain and by 8:00 was in really really bad pain.  I knew I had kidney stones from a cat scan last year, and have had them flare up in the past, so I just thought that's what was going on.  

I called the doctor and she said I should go to the hospital, not a 24 hour clinic, the nearest emergency room; "just in case".  So, it's Saturday morning, my Dad has just left for the Ukraine and I call mom and ask her if she could run by and take me over there, leaving Daren at home with Mc.  I'm totally calm... I'm thinking, I'll go in, get a scan, they'll tell me I have stones, I'll get some pain meds, and we;ll be on our way to Florida.  That's right... Florida, we were supposed to go early Sunday morning.  

Anyway, they shoot me up with some drugs and I'm feeling pretty good.  (They were really quick; I had drugs within 30 minutes of arriving!)  I think, "this is going really smooth.  I definitely made the right decision to come over and get drugs."  They give me a few xrays, a cat scan and send me back to my room.  Then all h--- breaks loose.  The ER doctor comes in and says, "well, do you want the bad news or the bad news. You don't have kidney stones, you have kidney boulders."

Apparently, an extra large kidney stone that is hard to pass is like 5mm.  I have a 7mm in my left kidney and a 10mm in my right, oh and ps, the one in the left kidney in lodged in my tube and my kidney isn't functioning.  

Hence, Sunday morning when I should have been headed to the beach, I was having emergency surgery to open my kidney up.  They put a stent in and I have been in pain ever since.  They released me late last night and I'm just staying drugged up.  Tomorrow I'm going back to have an outpatient surgery to bust up the stone in the left kidney and remove this d--- stent.  (I hate this stent.)  Then, next week I'll have to go in and have another surgery to bust up the right one.  Unfortunately, you can't do both at the same time.

Fun huh?  Wasn't it this time last year I was having my gallbladder out????

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Rachel, I feel your pain!! A couple of years ago the exact same thing happened to me! They tried everything but I eventually had to have a stent put in and have lithotripsey to bust up all of the stones. The whole procedure was so uncomfortable!!! Good luck with your recovery!

Elizabeth S said...

I am so sorry! My aunt had one of those stents last year and it was awful! I'll be praying for you!

A&L King said...

Seester!!!!! I'm so sad for you. Sorry about my tri hourly check ups over the weekend--I was worried. Don't forget, you've always got a back up kidney if you need one. Also, I don't love the idea of you going to the beach right after being at the hospital, but I could see how you guys really want to go too.

Mommynurse said...

I'm so sorry! I'll be praying for a quick recovery and complete healing. I hope you make it to Florida for some much needed r&r.

Courtney said...

Oh no! That sounds horrible! Michael had one last summer and I have never seen him in so much pain - and his were much smaller! I hope you get better soon and the surgery goes smoothly...

The Hadfields said...

That stinks! I hope they get you taken care of and on the road to recovery quickly!

caroline G said...

I am so sorry. Love you and am praying for you. John had one about 2 years ago and it was horrible. I can't imagine.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

what in the world?! i'm calling you right now!

Heather said...

Rachel, That is awful! I am so sorry.

Unknown said...

im so sorry! thats not fun...im only imagining. never been there but will be thinking and praying for your upcoming surgeries!

Whitney Akin said...

oh my word. you be careful. so sorry to hear this. keep us posted.

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all you've been dealing with. Do you need any help with Mc this week? I have Fri morning free. I could take Mc and MC to the zoo or something....or she is welcome to come over here to play.