Saturday, January 26, 2008

First Serious Injury

Well, Mc has gotten her first serious injury. Thursday night she and her daddy were playing, as they do every night before bed. He was throwing her around up in the air and she reached over and grabbed a light bulb on the chandelier in her bedroom.

At first, she cried for about 5 minutes and stopped for about 2 or three minutes and I thought. "Wow, not so bad!" Then, I think after the shock passed, she lost it. It was the saddest thing I had ever seen. She'd press her hand onto my face as hard as she could, wanting me to kiss it and make it better. I'd kiss it over and over, knowing that the heat from my face was only making it worse. She'd start hitting me on the mouth then like make it better make it better. So horrible... I mean HORRIBLE!!!

We tried putting real aloe on it and burn medicine. We gave her motrin and tylenol. Nothing seemed to help. It was her bedtime when it happened, so she was already tired. For about an hour she was inconsolable, and she's a pretty tough little girl. The only thing that seemed to ease the pain at all was holding her sippy cup filled with ice and water. She would try to calm down so she could go to sleep and as she was about to doze off, she'd drop the cup. After about 20 seconds she would start shaking her hand, her lip would start quivering and she'd start screaming again. It was definitely the worst thing I've ever been through because I couldn't make it any better. I swear I sang 200 rounds of Old McDonald had a farm. (between her tears she'd scream at me "eiei mama"; I guess it was helping to take her mind off of it.)

Anyway, she finally passed out around 10 and woke up yesterday like nothing happened. Her little hand is blistered pretty bad. There were 5 at last count. I'm just so glad it wasn't worse!

7 comments:

Elizabeth S said...

I am so sorry! I know that was hard. I hope she is okay.

caroline G said...

Poor Baby!!! I hope she is ok (and you too!)

Courtney said...

Poor thing! Sounds awful!

kma said...

Oh My goodness! Kiss her sweet hand for us! Kelly

The Hadfields said...

Oh man, I know it probably hurt you as bad as it did McHaney!! I hope her little hand is better!!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Oh man! I am so sorry for you guys! Glad she's over it now.

Heather B Mc said...

that is so sad!!! I actually grabbed a light bulb once by accident when a lamp was being knocked off a table. It smarts pretty bad!!!! Your a good mama to sing and sing.