Monday, April 2, 2007

Prayer Request Update

We went to the doctor this morning and McHaney has something called patent ductus arteriosis. Basically, she has a blood vessel that was suppose to close up after she was born, (it was used to get air to her heart when she was in utero), and it didn't close all the way. It is sometimes very serious if there is a large opening b/c babies can't eat, grow, breathe correctly. But, her opening is small, so it is not affecting her currently.

However, if it goes on forever the left side of her heart will compensate and get larger. That would be a big problem. So, in about a year when she's a little bigger, they will go in and do a small surgery to cauterize the vessel and close it off. It will be only a one night hospital stay, and they don't have to open her up. It is done via catheter. After that, she will be completely normal.

So, in the grand scheme of things, I feel pretty good. Of course we hoped and prayed that it was nothing, but I feel pretty blessed. It could have been much worse. It is scary that they are going to put my baby under and mess around with her heart. But, after looking at the other kids that were there, I know how lucky we are. God took care of us today and he is always faithful. I know he'll always watch out for my sweet little angel and hold her in his arms.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. Please continue to remember Mc when you pray. We have another appointment to see the doctor in 4 months. We'll keep everyone posted.

RP

3 comments:

Melissa P. said...

I did pray for you guys today and am thankful that the news wasn't worse. But, I do know that the thought of even a potentially minor issue can seem huge when it is your kid. Sydney has to have surgery in a few months and I am a wreck when I think about it. I will continue to pray for the Lord to heal McHaney,for the Doctors to have wisdom and for you to have peace!

Katie and Shae said...

Praying for yall - love you

Heather said...

I am so glad that it is something that can be fixed. We've been praying for her!