Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What is Wrong with People

Seriously? How do you get so far gone that you want to kill dozens of people? This thing at Virginia Tech is so sad. It is all that is on the news and I have to wonder what other people are teetering on the edge, wanting to do the same thing, and b/c of the media are being encouraged, almost tempted to follow through?

Don't get me wrong, I'm laying here watching it on the Today Show just like everyone else. And of course, I think the people who died do deserve to be recognized. It is just the repeated statement, "The largest gun attack in American History" that bothers me. Last night on Dateline, Brian Williams must have said that statement at least twice during every commercial break. Daren and I were getting sick. It was like he was tempting someone else to do something worse.

I always wondered if that is what happened with the Amish School shooting a couple of months ago. If you remember, someone else attacked a school a few weeks before, molested 6 little girls and killed one of them. The media made a huge deal out of it and then a few weeks later the same thing happened at the Amish school, but all of the girls were killed. So sad. And, I have to wonder if that guy was sitting at home being tempted to molest and murder little girls. Did seeing it on the news push him over the edge?

What do you guys think? Do you feel the same way? Why can't they just honor the dead and give the killer no attention? That's what he wanted, right? Why should someone who did something so awful be honored by getting his dying wish?

2 comments:

The Hadfields said...

I TOTALLY agree!! My mom and I were talking about the very same thing this morning. It is sickening!! The sad thing is that this is nothing new and people are becoming numb to news like this. What is happening to the world our little girls are going to grow up in?!?

Heather said...

I'm right there with you. It is so scary! You never know about people.