Saturday, May 26, 2007

I Love Summer Veges!!!


There's just nothing better than summer vegetables. Sometimes I think I could go from May to August without ever touching a piece of meat. Homegrown tomatoes, potatoes, okra, and corn; mmm mmm!!! Well, I always try to make 1 or 2 visits to the farmer's market every year so I can have some of that fresh goodness, but more times than not, I never make it. Anyway, my friend Carrie turned me on to this thing called a CSA group (community supported agriculture). They are farms that sell meat and veges to local people instead of stores etc. I am so pumped! Daren and I, along with Adam and Jac, joined one this weekend. We are going to split our share with them. Each of us will pick up every other week. It is not very expensive, and we get a 1/4 bushel each visit. It's seems to good to be real for me, so I'll keep you posted and let you know how we like it. From what I've heard, you can't go wrong. Everyone seems to love them! The group/farm we joined is called Avalon Acres. It is also the group Carrie is in. We checked out another 1 or 2, but this one had a pickup about 2 miles from our house. So, fresh veges here we come!!!!

3 comments:

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

YEAH!!! I'm so excited - we're splitting our half-bushel too. With my folks. I can't wait to see what we get this week. Since there are several blogger friends using Avalon Acres, we'll have to share ideas of what to cook some weeks!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

Hey Rachel. You'll see a "tag" on my blog today. I didn't tag you, because I figure that Melissa will. If she doesn't, you should post your top 5 nashville restaurants anyway!

Melissa P. said...

i'm on it! rachel, look for a 'tag' soon!